I was able to spend some time in the shop this weekend, and didn't get as much done as I would have liked to.
One of the main things holding me back right now is the fact that I have not selected the motherboard tray, and template for the motherboard input and outputs, as well as PCI slots. This prevents me from cutting the holes accurately in the back of both of the modules, which prevents me from assembling the actual modules.
I have some "spare" desktop chassis lying around, and will be working to find a solution to that soon.
In the meantime, I started working on the drawers for the right-hand module.
I first took them through the table saw again, trimming off the last 16th or two from some of the boards.
Then went to work sanding all of the pieces down with 150 grit. I will likely go up to a 180 grit before the final stain goes on. I clamped a straight-edge on to the table saw so that it was easier to sand with the grain (Thanks Mike)
Slowly, but surely, I went through all the pieces for the drawers, except for the faces. Yes, bad things happen when I don't have my sketchup drawings. I start drawing with markers.
Mike was doing some work in the shop at the same time as me that day, so there was quite the mess.
I put together my tools of the trade
And here are the gluing steps I went through
A few somewhat artistic clamp shots
Everything looks pretty straight
Glued and clamped together the largest of the drawers, will likely put some hanging folders in there.
Then I screwed everything together with #8 1.5" screws, all holes pre-drilled and countersunk. Most of the holes will be covered by the actual drawer sliding mechanisms, but the exposed ones will get some wood putty.
It's funny being in someone else's wood shop - I couldn't find the countersink bit anywhere - I tried looking through all the drill bit boxes (There were several) and nothing, so I had been using a small bit, then switching to the big bit to countersink, and then switching to the screw bit to screw in the holes.
Mike walks in half-way through the holes and you could tell he was rather amused - he goes to the back of the shop, pulls out a box, pulls out a box from the box, and then a small medicine container out from the box in a box - "Geez, didn't I tell ya to just look around? Oh. Wait. I guess this one was sorta hard to find eh?".
At that point, he also points out that there are several drills in the shop - silly me. So one drill with the countersink bit, one drill with the screw bit. It's been very interesting working in a shop dedicated to this type of work - very, very different from working in the basement with just basic hand tools.
I haven't attached the faces of the drawers yet as I haven't determined how I would like to attach them. I would also like to attach the trim to the outer edges of the faces before attaching them to the drawers, since it'll be much easier to clamp all the faces together at once.
And that's it for todays update - a bit short, yes, a lot of pictures of clamps, sorry, I got carried away
I'm spending some time in the shop tonight, so hopefully I'll have another update for all of you tomorrow or the day after!