Metku.net

MetkuMods
It is currently 21.09.2019 04:15

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: LCD
PostPosted: 13.12.2002 07:36 
Regular Modder
Regular Modder

is there any way to make a nokia 5190 lcd show my comp stats? what about a 6190? if it needs some sort of circuit board, i can make one as long as i have a list of parts and i can probably buy/download the software.
i want it to show my cpu temp/speed/fan rpm and case temp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13.12.2002 10:04 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Haven't seen those lcds used anywhere. They would need a special interface between them and the computer and making that interface board can be pretty difficult because manufacturers don't like to give out specs/datasheets about their products.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14.12.2002 00:35 
Veteran Modder
Veteran Modder

wow that is tough but if you are going to try i commend you...hmm...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15.12.2002 00:23 
Regular Modder
Regular Modder

japala, u know how u were saying that the backlight for the lcd was too bright? u could take a multimeter and see which pin gives the least power (the jumpers on the back for the color selection). if they are equal, then u can use two jumpers, plug 1 on the first pin and the second on the other and then stick one end of a resistor into the the empty hole of the first jumper and the other end into the other jumper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15.12.2002 16:25 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You are talking about that LIS lcd that I reviewed? Sure you can mod it but I don't like to put these things to reviews because I test those product as they are and that is the way the customers receive them. If there is enough request I'll then write a mod about that product. Maybe this product would need one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16.12.2002 07:26 
Regular Modder
Regular Modder

ok i see ur point. anways, back to the subject of the post. do u think it would work if i borrowed and lcd from one of my friends or bought one and looked at the circuit board and made my own board but tryed different values for the parts (16V capacitor instead of 35V, 100uF instead of 20uF, 82ohm instead of 100ohm, etc)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16.12.2002 07:38 
Regular Modder
Regular Modder

japala wrote:
You are talking about that LIS lcd that I reviewed? Sure you can mod it but I don't like to put these things to reviews because I test those product as they are and that is the way the customers receive them. If there is enough request I'll then write a mod about that product. Maybe this product would need one.

would u really reccomend this lcd or r there much better ones? price is not a problem ( im planning on saving up for another year or two, getting a summer/weekend job, and then making a really crazy computer with a $2500+ budget. i wanna buy the fastest intel or amd processor i can get and overclock it to the limit, get an asus or abit motherboard with atleast a gig and a half of ram (ddr, raid setup), with heatsinks, of course, 550 watt Enermax psu (or the best one out by then), and for cooling i want a prometeia a/c for the cpu and at least 10 fans inside, filters on the intake fans (not the mention the top and side panels i want to make out of 160mm fans superglued together. hey, i did say crazy). and 2-200 GB hdd in a raid setup.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16.12.2002 10:53 
Regular Modder
Regular Modder

Nice ideas, but I don't think you will be able to trick everything out to the max with $2500. Just the 3.06 chip alone is about $700 right now and two 200 gig drives is $600 plus. That's more than half your budget on two pieces of the puzzle. Granted, two years down the line these will be cheaper, but by then something much better will take their place. Unless you are heavily into graphics work, rendering and such, none of us really need the best of the best, but that doesn't stop us from wanting it does it :) Everyone wants their own beast of a machine. For $2500 you can really get a heck of a machine though and will have better than most. The hardest part sometimes if finding the best place for your money and the best service. As for lcd's, try matrix orbital http://www.matrixorbital.com/products.htm , they have some great products. I am sure others can suggest some different ones that they have been happy with. Happy hunting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17.12.2002 01:11 
Regular Modder
Regular Modder

ok. i think ill just wait until i save up the money and then go on from there.
one question regarding the cooling system, though. in one of the other forums, it said that liquid nitrogen gives a 30% increase in performense. the prometeia says 40-80%. is that just a factory claim or is it really better than nitrogen cooling?

Post subject: LCD
PostPosted: 17.12.2002 08:07 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

japala wrote:
Haven't seen those lcds used anywhere. They would need a special interface between them and the computer and making that interface board can be pretty difficult because manufacturers don't like to give out specs/datasheets about their products.

check out http://www.hut.fi/~tlindber/

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17.12.2002 08:52 
Regular Modder
Regular Modder

The cooler itself isn't giving you the increase and it can only give you a performance boost depending on how much you overclock. Overclocking increases power and heat. As we all know, heat and computers don't mix. The cooler does its best to bring you back to the optimal running temp so the overclocked items keep their performance. So again, the performance increase fully depends on how much you overclock. The cooler keeps you in a stable environment. If you were going to go nuts with your overclocking then maybe the prometeia is for you, but for how much it costs, it might be a little over the top. As for liquid nitrogen, I don't believe you can even buy anything like that yet for computers, but I could be wrong. Everything I have read has been in the experimental stage, so considering that, the prometeia is your best bet.

Rooster - it seems that link is for a different lcd then for a nokia phone, but an interesting mod.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17.12.2002 21:22 
Regular Modder
Regular Modder

the best LCD's and VFD's I've used are from matrix orbital.

I use the LK-204-25-WB-V (as seen HERE)

I have a review of it on my site... (Yes, I know I have a crappy case... it's not going to be around much longer ;-))