Metku.net

MetkuMods
It is currently 26.10.2014 10:40

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 31.01.2003 23:47 
People looking for pens can order them from BIC directly from their website at www.bicgraphic.com , I believe this is the actual product here: http://bicgraphic.com/servlet/OnlineSho ... GEL&R=9180

My concern is about the type of ink/gel in question. Many inks are made with acids. This could cause seriously nasty corrosion later if not sooner. Some pens indicate that they are 'acid free' but these "Clic Gel Intensity" ones do not, leaving the question open.

It would of course be monumentally bad to advise people to do this mod and find out it trashes their system in a couple months.

-S
satekeeper@hotmail.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01.02.2003 00:29 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If the pens truly are corrosive this would be a really bad thing. Too bad that we can't know that for certain at this point. On the other hand because you are tracing single wires and if that ink is corrosive, it would need to eat through the protective coating on top of those wires but also it should eat awat those wires also. After that the card wouldn't work.

Anyway, you do have a point there and like with most of the mods, you are knowingly voiding the warranty. If one has concerns about these things they shouldn't try the mod. I really do hope that it doesn't destroys anyones hardware because I'm not on a mission to make things worse to others. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01.02.2003 01:08 
There is a way to find out without waiting, get some litmus paper! Litmus paper is special paper that changes colours based on acidity or alkalinity of a liquid. They are common supplies for chemists, they can be cheaply bought, Here: http://www.labwarehouse.com/lw/category.cfm?category=49
I may get some soon, if I do I will report back.

Pardon my ignorance,.. you said your GeForce card has a protective coating on it., is the same true of all PCBs, motherboards, misc cards etc? Or is it something you need to look for first?

By the way, great lookin mod.
I like the easy stuff.

-S

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01.02.2003 01:16 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm not sure if every card or board has that coating but most of them do. If they had bare wires without anything protecting them from air the wires would corrode (rust?) pretty fast. So they do have some chemicals over them but don't know if they will protect the wires from other foreign substances that well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03.02.2003 11:36 
Its safe to say that all have the coating, otherwise, Japala is correct, they would deteriorate VERY fast. especially in areas with high humidity, aka, Vancouver WA., where i live :(

The only area that i wouldn't draw on with my card (you can check it out i just posted a pic of it) were solder points, though they may have the coating on them as well, i just decided not to chance it, and stick to the board itself, though i did color the tops of some of the smaller chips.

And GRR my orange pen wouldn't work! was clogged as soon as i tried to use it... oh well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03.02.2003 12:30 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Posts to http://metku.net/modgallery/ are wanted so if you have a digicam please, take some time and send us couple of photos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03.02.2003 19:40 
i got litmus paper ( i love my chemestry lessons) and tried some of those gel makers (different but not your bic pens) on it. neither normal gel pens nor uv active gel pens were followed by a red coloring of the paper, which would indicate acids. the paper simply stays orange, like it was before, not reacting at all. i think this could proof, that those gels are very stable and free from aggressive substances.

i dont know if they are totally undangerous to your hardware yet, but ill ask my chemestry teacher if we can analyze one of those pens. it istn proofed but i suppose your hardware is safe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03.02.2003 19:43 
http://www.officedepot.com/shop/catalog ... 2032&PP=14

that should proof what i supposed one post above this one :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03.02.2003 21:21 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, I noticed that also when that link was posted couple of days ago. Still, good work from you for proofing this to be true. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12.03.2003 01:25 
d0000d IJust bought gel intensity pens from office depot and just so everyone knows, the blue pen doesn't glow! the orange, pink, yellow, and green ones do though :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12.03.2003 20:53 
Regular Modder
Regular Modder

blue is too close to the uv wavelength to glow very well... you'll find this is the case with highlighters too...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16.03.2003 03:22 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

i visited another site who talked about uv drawing too and they said it takes long to for the ink to dry. about how long does it take?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29.05.2003 10:33 
Would that then mean that the red or orange pens would work best? as they ar ecomplementary?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14.06.2003 07:30 
i would also like to know how long the ink takes to dry. i got the pens yesterday (they are soo cool under blacklight) and i got an old network card (probably one of the fist NIC's) and did a small corner, i let it sit for almost 2 days and it still wasn't dry (it wiped right off) well if anyone knows plz tell me

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27.06.2003 18:50 
does anyone know how long the pens take to dry
????????????? :?:
if you know plz post