Modding the mouse
Between all these images there are some smaller steps that are needed to complete the mod but I believe you'll get the general idea just fine. :)
First frame tries to show you the faint marks that I made to guide me when doing the actual cutting for the base. Rought cut was made by using a circular saw blade on my Ferm rotary tool. Then I switched to a regular carving head and made the opening wide enough to house the LCD screen.
Rought cut for the cover
As the cover is curved I had some difficulties on deciding on how wide the opening should be. In the end I decided to make it so wide that one can see the screen easily while the mouse is sitting on a normal using position on the right side of the user. This means that the opening on the cover is slightly larger and positioned slightly more to the left from the LCD screen.
After some filing the opening starts to take shape. I was originally planning on leaving all the original graphics as they were in the beginning but I soon realized that the opening would eat away part of them. Because of this I decided to wet sand the cover, prime it and paint it to make it more unique.
I used Createx Color's Iridescent Turquoise (5504) airbrush color to paint the cover. Four or five layers in total. This was then topped with clear coat to make the finish more durable and shiny.
My wife does not understand my need to keep the original packaging of the products stored. This time I can prove the value of these boxes. The window is actually a part of the original packaging the mouse was in. In the package the mouse was housed inside a plastic bubble that followed the shape of the mouse cover. It was quite easy to use a pair of scissors to take out a piece that would fit perfectly inside the mouse and behind the window opening. Why reinvent the wheel when the needed matrials are often included with the product. ;)
|Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7|